The Agile Career Podcast
Developing a Growth Mindset
June 14, 2020
Günter Richter / Crystal Metcalfe
In this episode, Crystal Metcalfe joins me. Crystal is the UK VP at RGP, a consulting firm that helps customers implement their business strategy. Crystal shares her career journey and talks about how she used a growth mindset that helped her develop the skills she needed when making career transitions. She also talks about moving countries and how she dealt with that.
- Having mentors in your life is important. They can help you understand where you want to go, and how to get there
- Work experience is so important and getting this experience, before entering the formal workforce, can be of great value
- Self-development and observation are great tools to help when you are overwhelmed, feeling intimidated, or dealing with impostor syndrome
- Being constantly challenged will help you grow
- Be confident in yourself and your team
- Have empathy for others
- Developing a consultant mindset will serve you well in your career
- When thinking about a new job or career; assess yourself, identify what the new job or career requires, and understand if you have the attributes you need
- Always stay relevant!
Crystal recommends reading The First 90 Days, Updated and Expanded: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels by Michael Watkins.
I refer to Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck.
Support the show
Connect with Crystal
Listeners can connect with Crystal by visiting her LinkedIn page.